About Me

My photo
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
"To take a photograph is to align the head, the eye and the heart. It's a way of life." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Unabashed Aerial Nudes by John Crawford

John Crawford is a New Zealand based photographer who did a lot of commercial work back in the 80's. He spent much of his time in helicopters and light airplanes, and became fascinated with looking at the world from a bird's eye perspective. In 1984, between shoots, he had an idea for a personal project called Aerial Nudes, the results of which you see here.

The project lasted for three years, from 1984 to 1987, when Crawford dedicated his spare time to meticulously planning and executing each shot, dreaming up ever more surreal scenarios. "Part of the thrill was coming up with the ideas, which in some cases were seemingly impossible, and making it work," he says. "I'd hire a small fixed-wing aircraft for an hour and hunt for abstract details in the landscape where I could strategically place a nude. I would shoot reference images of each location, which I would print. On these, with a black ink pen I would sketch little stick figures and add the various props I would need." [via IndependentUK]




















6 comments:

  1. Crazy work. Lots of skid marks on that road.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, it took me for ever to find her on the one with the helicopter...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic! Unique, artistic, inspiring. I love them and kudos to your subjects!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Inspiring, creative, and impressive. I have reblogged this blog post to my blog! http://evenbettercool.blogspot.com

    Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Creative. Interesting
    Regards from Nagaland
    www.jimzubemophotos.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete